Nine weeks of blood and glory
Warsaw Uprising of 1944 day by day.

August 14, 1944 - Fourteenth day of the Uprising

Name day: Maksymilian, Alfred
Sunrise 5:33 am; sunset 8:20 pm; average air temperature: 17°C
Cloudy with sunny spells; Vistula river level: 180 cm

          At 10.30 am - General Tadeusz Komorowski "Bór" ("Forest") issues an order to all well-armed Home Army troops remaining outside Warsaw to hasten to the relief of the city.

          The troops in the Kampinos Forest are ordered to concentrate their forces to launch a simultaneous attack from two sides in the area of the Powązki Cemetery.

          A German outpost in the house at 32 Aleje Jerozolimskie surrenders to the insurgents. The German crew is exhorted to do so by Poles from Bydgoszcz who were drafted into Wehrmacht and were part of the crew defending the outpost. The soldiers of the "Kiliński" battalion take into captivity 17 soldiers from the 4th battalion of East Prussian grenadiers. The captives testify that their company suffered 50% losses in the fights over Warsaw.

          German attacks on the Old Town from Leszno along Tłomackie in the direction of Bielańska Street. The Germans attacking from the tram depot on Sierakowska Street manage to drive a wedge between the "Radosław" and "Leśnik" ("Forester") groups. After heavy fights, though, the enemy is repelled from the area in the evening.

          The Home Army Headquarters is stuck in the Old Town encirclement.

          In Powiśle on Bartoszewicza Street the soldiers commanded by Cyprian Odorkiewicz "Krybar" capture a SdKfz 251/1 carrier belonging to the 5th Armored Signals Battalion 5. PzDiv SS-"Wiking". The carrier is renamed "Jaś", then "Gray Wolf", and moves into the fights on the Polish side.

          The soldiers of the "Baszta" ("Bastille") regiment once again storm the German strongpoints in the Wedel House at 1 Puławska Street and in the school on Narbutta Street at the corner of Kazimierzowska Street, and again they fail. Mokotów comes under heavy shelling of the artillery.

          The Maltese Hospital is evacuated from Senatorska Street to Sródmieście.

          The Germans shut down the water main in the water station on Koszykowa Street, putting the municipal water supplies to stop. The Commander of the District of Warsaw, Colonel Antoni Chruściel "Monter" ("Assembler"), orders people to save water and dig wells.

          From among planes delivering drops, three (two British and one Polish) are shot down.

edited by: Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz

translated by: Beata Murzyn

Copyright © 2023 Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz. All rights reserved.