Nine weeks of blood and glory
Warsaw Uprising of 1944 day by day.

August 28, 1944 - Twenty-eighth day of the Uprising

Name day: Augustyn, Aleksander
Sunrise 5:56 am; sunset 7:50 pm; average air temperature: 22°C
Sunny; Vistula river level: 81 cm

          More than fifteen hundred German soldiers take over the complex of the Polish Security Printing Works. The Germans execute and kill with grenades several dozen wounded soldiers and the field hospital staff.

          Almost all soldiers from the "Mieczyki" platoon (19 victims) are killed in the house on Mławska Street, following plane bombing.

          In the south section of the Old Town the troops commanded by Major "Róg" ("Horn") try to recapture the lost Cathedral, but to no avail. They are pushed back towards the Old Town Market.

          There are still ca. 2000 insurgents able to put resistance in the Old Town, but they are extremely exhausted.

          In this situation Lieutenant Colonel "Wachnowski" orders the insurgents to break through from the Old Town to Śródmieście. The evacuation includes wounded soldiers, civil population and the remaining defenders of the Old Town.

          After numerous attacks carried out by the insurgents, the Germans are forced to leave the barracks on Gdańska Street and the school on Kolektorska Street in Żoliborz. They pull back to the Central Institute of Physical Education (today Józef Piłsudski University of Physical Education in Warsaw).

          Continuous fights over the Post Train Station on Żelazna Street, the Bormann factory and Hartwig warehouses on Towarowa are taking place in Śródmiescie.
          As a result of an evening counterattack conducted by the "Chrobry II" battalion commanded by Lieutenant "Zdunin", the insurgents take temporary control over Zawisza Square and the Cargo Terminal.

          The Germans are pushed back from the west part of Grzybowska Street towards Towarowa Street.

          Heavy bombardments of Śródmieście and Powiśle. There is no water to put out the raging fire.

          The insurgent attacks on the barracks on Podchorążych Street collapse under the pressure of heavy enemy fire and tanks.
          An attempt to make a connection between Mokotów and Śródmieście ends in failure. Only one kilometer separates the advancing troops from the positions of the "Krybar" group in Powiśle.
          Fights over the Łazienki (Royal Baths) Park last the whole day.

          The Red Army planes drop weaponry.

          SS Brigadeführer Bronisław Kamiński, the commander of the SS RONA Brigade, responsible for the bloody pacification of Ochota, is sentenced to death by the German military court for insubordination and a series of offences. The sentence is carried out on October 4, 1944.

          An uprising in Slovakia breaks out on the night of August 28 and 29. The Slovak and Polish insurgents will suffer the same fate in, among others, the Sandbostel prison camp.

edited by: Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz

translated by: Beata Murzyn

Copyright © 2023 Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz. All rights reserved.