13 Miodowa Street. The Transfiguration church.
Both the church and the monastery came into existence between the years 1683-1694.
During the Warsaw Uprising the church was hugely damaged. In fires the following valuables were burnt: the altars (with the exception of one of them), the paintings by Szymon Czechowicz and other pieces of work.
After the war people started the re construction. Not later than in the year 1945 the slabs were supported, debris removed and windows put. A new roof was also set. On September 8, 1946 the church was consecrated.
On the church wall there are these plaques placed:
- commemorating the Home Army soldiers commanded by captain "Gozdawa", the Old Town dwellers as well as Capuchin monks who came to the barricade defenders' aid;
- in memory of Józef Jasiński a.k.a. "Wyrwa", the commander of the 4th company of the battalion named after S. Czarniecki and the 3rd assault company of the Home Army unit "Gozdawa".
In the lower church one can see a painting of the Transfiguration church in the insurgent fights.
written by: Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz
pictures taken by: Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz
translated by: Monika Ałasa