68 Krakowskie Przedmieście Street. The St. Anne church.
The church came to existence next to the Bernardine monastery. Its construction started in the year 1454.
The church was damaged in September 1939. During the Warsaw Uprising the St. Anne church, occupied by Germans, was changed by them into their defensive point; sacristy windows were walled up with pavement slabs and shooting areas were placed there. From thence the Praga shore was being shot. At the time the church roof was again burnt.
The reconstruction of the church lasted in the years 1946-1962.
On the church walls one can see the following plaques:
- commemorating the soldiers of 6-XXVI Region of the Home Army Warsaw District fallen and murdered by the occupant;
- commemorating the soldiers of the Secret Polish Army of the Home Army, murdered and fallen in the years 1939-1945;
- commemorating the fallen and the deceased soldiers of the Academic Legion 36th infantry regiment;
- commemorating the fallen and murdered members of the Polish Academic Corporation "Sarmatia";
- commemorating the girl guides and boy scouts of the academic troops "Kuźnica" who fought in the "Grey Regiments";
- in memory of Fr. Prelate colonel Tadeusz Jachimowski, the chief chaplain of the Home Army, who was murdered in the first days of the Warsaw Uprising.
In the left-hand side chapel one can see the artistic theme in memory of the aviators who would come to the fighting Warsaw's aid.
written by: Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz
pictures taken by: Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz
translated by: Monika Ałasa