61 Solec Street. The Holy Trinity church.
The first church in this area was built in the year 1339, which means it is one of the oldest churches in Warsaw. The present stone church was erected in the year 1721.
During the siege of Warsaw in September 1939 the building was severely damaged; because of fire, most of the ceiling and the roof lapsed. This destruction was repaired during the occupation. The greatest loss was caused by the war action during the Warsaw Uprising 1944. Both the German bombardment and the shelling of the Soviet artillery from the eastern bank of the Vistula river damaged the church almost completely.
The reconstruction lasted between the years 1946-1955.
On the church wall one can see the plaques:
- commemorating 476 soldiers of the Home Army unit "Kryska" fallen in the Warsaw Uprising;
- commemorating the fallen soldiers of the 3rd Regiment of the Silesian Ulans who fell in the Warsaw Uprising;
- commemorating the fallen soldiers of the Home Army battalion "Zośka".
written by: Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz
pictures taken by: Natalia Kamińska and Antoni Karaś
translated by: Monika Ałasa