5 Zagórna Street. The Holy Mary of Częstochowa church.
Initially - in the years 1916-1932 - this neo-classical church was situated in the Łazienkowska street number 14. In September 1944, during the Warsaw Uprising, it served as an insurgent hospital.
The church was bombarded by Germans, causing the death of tens of people. After the war services were offered in the wreckage that had survived.
Due to the construction of the Łazienkowska Route it was allowed to change the place of the parish and to build both the church and the vicarage in the Zagórna street number 5.
The new church was situated in the battlefield of the Czerniaków bridgehead, where insurgent fights of the units "Kryska", "Radosław", "Parasol", "Miotła and "Zośka" took place in September 1944. The church was consecrated in the year 1983.
The church is the place where numerous memorabilia connected with the Warsaw Uprising 1944 have been stored.
On the outer wall of the vicarage there is a modern allegoric fresco dedicated to the Uprising.
On the outer side wall of the church one can see a stained glass window showing the Holy Mary of Insurgents, underneath whom there is a plaque commemorating the insurgent units that fought in Czerniaków. Under the plaque a memorial bullet has been placed inside the wall.
Next to the above-mentioned, on the wall, one can find a fragment of an iron cross with marks of shooting, that had been digged out of the ruined church.
In the entryway there are the following plaques:
- in memory of General Jan Mazurkiewicz a.k.a. "Radosław", the commander of the unit "Radosław";
- commemorating the soldiers of the National Military Organisation and the Home Army of the District "Bażant" from Grodzisk Mazowiecki, who fell during the Warsaw Uprising;
- commemorating the fallen, the murdered and the deceased soldiers of V Home Army Unit "Siekiera" and "Kryska".
On the inner church walls there are such plaques:
- commemorating the soldiers of the National Armed Forces fallen in action or murdered by the Nazis and the communists;
- in memory of women- the Home Army soldiers who fought in the Warsaw Uprising 1944, as well as prisoners of war camps;
- commemorating the fallen and the murdered soldiers of 3rd armoured battalion "Golski";
- in memory of lieutenant colonel Alfred Paczkowski MD, the Silent Unseen soldier, a.k.a. "Wania";
- in memory of Major Franciszek Ławruszczuk a.k.a. "Czarny Franek", the soldier of the Home Army battalion "Wigry";
- in memory of Lt. Andrzej Samsonowicz a.k.a. "Xiążę", the soldier of the platoon "Felek", from the company "Rudy" and the battalion "Zośka", who fell on September 15, 1944 in the Solec street.
On the outer wall of the church there is a special theme made of epitaph plates of 202 Home Army soldiers from the unit "Kryska", the battalion "Harnaś", the battalion "Miotła", who fell in Czerniaków. There is also the information saying that in this church one can see the relics of the blessed Fr. Józef Stanek, the Pallotine, the chaplain of the Home Army unit "Kryska", who had been murdered by Germans.
In the middle of the theme there used to be set the wreckage of a machine gun having come from the Warsaw Uprising, found in the church basement. The gun, though, became lost during the renovation of the church.
On the inner walls of the church, under the ceiling and on the vertical supports tens badges of various Home Army groups, mainly the ones who had fought in the Warsaw Uprising 1944, have been stored.