poprzednie miejsce

Powązkowska 14 - Wola

następne miejsce
kliknij, aby zobaczyć listę miejsc pamięci

14 Powązkowska Street. The St. Karol Boromeusz church.
The church was erected in the years 1790-1793.
During the Warsaw Uprising, at the cemetery next to the church Germans situated the position of heavy artillery. As the result of fire the church dome collapsed, a part of the roof was partly damaged, the organs and the belfry tumbled down, while historic bells fused.
The after-war restoration was finished not earlier than in the year 1960.

On the outer walls of the church one can see lots of epitaph plates of the Polish people who fell in the East and were murdered by NKWD (the Soviet secret police).
There are also the following plaques here:
- the one commemorating the Polish people from Wołyń and the soldiers of the 27th Home Army Wołyń Infantry Division;
- the one commemorating the Warsaw youth fallen in the defense of Homeland and its Capital City in the years 1939-1945;
- the one in memory of Janusz Smoliński, the Home Army soldier who fought in the defense of Warsaw in the year 1944.

kliknij na mapę, aby zobaczyć całą Warszawę


kliknij na zdjęcie, aby je powiększyć

kliknij na zdjęcie, aby je powiększyć


         

         


written by: Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz
pictures taken by: Filip Ćwikliński, Zbigniew Kutela and Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz
translated by: Monika Ałasa


Copyright © 2017 SPPW1944. All rights reserved.