poprzednie miejsce

Wolska 140a - Wola

następne miejsce
kliknij, aby zobaczyć listę miejsc pamięci

140a Wolska Street. The St. Wawrzyniec church.
This wooden church, having been burnt thoroughly during the Swedish Deluge, was built in this place in the year 1288. At the end of the 17th c. the stone church started to be built. It was finished in the year 1746.
In August 1944 during the slaughter of Wola in the garden next to the church Germans murdered several hundred people, and set fire to the church. On the altar steps Fr. Mieczysław Krygier, the parish priest lost his life.
The church was rebuilt after the war.

On the wall that cordons the church there is a plaque in memory of both the insurgents and the civilians who were murdered by Germans in mass executions at the beginning of August 1944.
In the churchyard one can find:
- a plaque that Leeds us to the place of mass executions of civilians during the Warsaw Uprising;
-e 5th anniversary of the slaughter of Wola on August 5, 1944.;
- a grave of unknown inhabitants of Wola and insurgents fallen in combat in August 1944.
On the church wall there are plaques in the memory of:
- the soldiers from the Home Army unit "Hala" of the battalion named after J. Sowiński who fought and died in the Warsaw Uprising;
- Fr. Mieczysław Krygier, the parish priest of this place who was murdered on August 5, 1944 as well as the murdered inhabitants of Wola.

kliknij na mapę, aby zobaczyć całą Warszawę

kliknij na zdjęcie, aby je powiększyć

kliknij na zdjęcie, aby je powiększyć

kliknij na zdjęcie, aby je powiększyć



written by: Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz
pictures taken by: Krzysztof Breiter and Andrzej Jagiełłowicz
translated by: Monika Ałasa

Copyright © 2017 Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz. All rights reserved.