poprzednie miejsce

Senatorska 2 - Stare Miasto

następne miejsce

kliknij, aby zobaczyć listę miejsc pamięci

Miodowa street at the corner of Senatorska street A large rock with a sculpted inscription commemorating the soldiers of the "Gozdawa" battalion.
In the year 2016 on the former square and a car parking, between Senatorska and Miodowa streets a new building was erected. Its address is Senatorska number 2.
The memorial rock was replaced with a board on a wall of the building on the Miodowa street's side.
On the board one can see a poem written on September 1, 1944 by second lieutenant Andrzej Sieczkowski a.k.a. "Chrab±szcz":

While everything around is bursting, disintegrating and falling apart,
In the New Town, Rybaki and the cathedral- everywhere the enemy can be found,
Stouthearted despite the fire, rubble and steal,
So plucky that the enemy won't intrude,
Defending the Old Town with the wall alive,
For thirty days has been fighting - the bastion of Gozdawa. *

*the Battalion Gozdawa- the name comes from its commander's nickname.
The Home Army unit fighting in the Warsaw Uprising in the Old Town and -since September 1944 - in the City Centre.

The pictures show both the original and the present views.


kliknij na mapę, aby zobaczyć cał± Warszawę


kliknij na zdjęcie, aby je powiększyć

kliknij na zdjęcie, aby je powiększyć

kliknij na zdjęcie, aby je powiększyć

kliknij na zdjęcie, aby je powiększyć



Maciej & Piotr Janaszek-Seydlitz
photos Joanna Janaszek-Seydlitz
translated by Katarzyna Ostap-Tomann,
Monika Ałasa


Copyright © 2004-2017 SPPW1944. All rights reserved.