Anielewicz street at the corner of the Okopowa street - Stare Miasto
In the Anielewicz street at the corner of the Okopowa street there once were two plaques on the wall of the 34 Anielewicz str building. They both (one in Polish, one in Hebrew) commemorated setting 348 Jews free from the "Gęsiówka" prison by the Home Army soldiers of the "Zo¶ka" battalion on August 5, 1944.
In the year 2018 a separate monument was erected, at the corner of the Anielewicz and the Towarowa streets. The above-mentioned plaques were relocated and put on the monument, and the third one, in English, was situated, as well.
The monument has a shape of a fragment of a camp wall with a barbed wire upwards. The Polish plaque reads the following,
On August 5, 1944 the scout battalion "Zo¶ka" of the Home Army "Radosław" unit conquered the German concentration camp Gęsiówka and set 348 Jews free. They were citizens of various European countries.
Many of them fought and died in the Warsaw Uprising.
On the rear surface of the monument there is a plaque with the map showing the conquest of the Gęsiówka concentration camp.
Maciej & Piotr Janaszek-Seydlitz
photos Joanna Janaszek-Seydlitz
translated by Katarzyna Ostap-Tomann,