23 Okopowa Street. A birch cross is placed at the lawn between the building and the road, together with a plaque that reads as follows:
At this area on August 7, 1944 Germans fiercely attacked the uprising barricade in Okopowa street at the corner of Żytnia street.
As a shield for attacking tanks they used women, children and old men (who are presently known as so-called alive shields).
Unknown number of civilians died then.
In the middle of August 1944 in the ruins of factories (between the streets: Żytnia and Leszno) Germans shot c. 150 people, among whom there probably were inhabitants of Wola, the Old Town and the City Centre.
edited by: Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz
pictures taken by: Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz
translated by Monika Ałasa