The photo report of the Fifth Inter-district School Competition for the students of Warsaw primary schools
entitled "Me, the soldier of the Uprising" - 2019
In the year 2019 it was decided among the SPPW 1944 Association Board members that the next edition of the Inter-district School Competition entitled "Me, the soldier of the Uprising" should be re-organized. This idea had previously aroused great interest among both Warsaw schools' youngsters and their teachers.
The Fifth Edition of the competition devoted to the Warsaw Uprising 1944 entitled "Me, the soldier of the Uprising" was announced in October 2019. It was held under the auspices of the Warsaw Insurgents' Association.
Like in previous editions, the aim of the competition was to popularize the heroic behaviour of the soldiers of the Uprising, encouraging to read the insurgent memories placed in both the "Notebooks of the Remembrance of the Warsaw Uprising" and the SPPW 1944 website, as well as to use the archives of the Warsaw Uprising Museum and to participate in the meetings "The Witnesses of the History" in the Warsaw Uprising Museum. Concurrently, the competition was to promote the high culture of a spoken word, to develop oratorical talents of a Young generation and to teach the rivalry in a friendly atmosphere.
The competition was addressed to the pupils of Warsaw primary schools, divided into two age groups: - classes 4-6, - classes 7-8.
Each contestant was to prepare a short monodrama related to a chosen person: a soldier of one of insurgent unit, an orderly, a liaison, a young scout-soldier of the Grey Regiments, a young scout-boy delivering the insurgent post mail or a civilian observing the insurgent actions. Participants were supposed to choose a role of a certain person and play a role of them (the scenario based on real memories). The "by heart" presentation was to last not more than 4-7 minutes.
The rules of the competition were prepared, like in previous years, by Mrs. Maria Poprawa, the member of the SPPW 1944 Board, the Polish philologist and historian of the 118 Primary School in Warsaw named after the Friends of Mazovia.
The deadline was November 4, 2019.
Seventeen participants from five primary schools registered.
On November 19, 2019 in the exhibition room in the 22 Długa street in Warsaw the examination of the contestants occurred. The event was opened by the SPPW Vice-chairman Mrs. Maria Poprawa who reminded in few words the history of the competition "Me, the soldier of the Uprising" and made the rules of the competition clear.
Eventually, fifteen participants from five primary schools came forward.
They chose to play the roles of the following:
1. Zofia Bernhardt a.k.a. "Świteź"; the Home Army battalion "Kiliński"
2. Krystyna Berwińska-Bargiełowska a.k.a. "Krystyna"; the Home Army Group "Krybar"
3. Michał Grocholski a.k.a. "Biskup"; the Grey Regiments, the Home Army IV District "Grzymały" (in Ochota district), later the Home Army Group "Kampinos"
4. Wiesław Jaczyński; the Home Army VI Group (in Praga district)
5. Anna Jakubowska a.k.a. "Paulinka"; the Home Army scout battalion "Zośka"
6. Alina Janowska a.k.a. "Alina" or "Setka"; the Home Army battalion "Kiliński"
7. Halina Jędrzejewska a.k.a. "Sławka"; the Home Army battalion "Miotła"
8. Kazimierz Piechotka a.k.a. "Jacek"; the Home Army battalion "Pięść"
9. Anna Teresa Poraj-Poleska-Garalda a.k.a. "Piorun"; the Home Army Group "Krybar"
10. Hanna Stadnik a.k.a. "Hanka"; the Home Army Regiment "Baszta"
11. Maria Szydluk a.k.a. "Rysia"; the Home Army battalion "Dzik"
12. Zbigniew Ścibor- Rylski a.k.a. "Motyl"; the Home Army battalion "Czata 49"
13. Halina Wiśniewska a.k.a. "Halina"; the Home Army II assault battalion "Odwet"
14. Krystyna Zawadzka a.k.a. "Krysia"; the Home Army scout battalionbat. harc. AK "Zośka"
The Jury of the competition:
Mr. Maciej Janaszek - Seydlitz - the President of the Jury, the Honorary Chairman of SPPW 1944 Association,
Mr. Zbigniew Galperyn - the Warsaw insurgent, the Vice-chairman of the Warsaw Insurgents' Association,
Mrs. Joanna Rawik - a singer, actress and journalist,
Mrs. Cecylia Steczkowska - an artist who is active in the sphere of commemorating the heroism of the Insurgents, and a member of the SPPW Association
evaluated each performance of contestants.
sitting from the left: Mr. Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz, Mrs. Joanna Rawik, Mrs. Cecylia Steczkowska and Mr. Zbigniew Galperyn
While evaluating, the Jury considered the following factors:
- presenting of a chosen person - composition and oratorical talent,
- esthetics and uniqueness of garment and presenting it,
- general artistic impression - choice of stage props and music, etc
After a long discussion the Jury decided to award the following contestants:
the group of younger pupils (classes 4 - 6)
Maria Ochnio, 118 Primary school
Julia Siwik, 118 Primary school
Luiza Chłapińska, 366 Primary school
Maria Grymuza, 366 Primary school
the group of older pupils (classes 7 -8)
Stanisław Uliński, 23 Primary school
Mikołaj Kobuszewski, 118 Primary school
Jerzy Tarkowski, 118 Primary school
Kinga Wójcik, 118 Primary school
On November 26, 2019 in the exhibition room in the 22 Długa street in Warsaw the awards and honourable awards: Empik gift vouchers and commemorative diplomas .
were handed over to the laureates by the Jury members.
The teachers of the laureates also received commemorative diplomas.
The President of the Jury thanked especially Mrs. Maria Poprawa, the organizer of the competition.
All the participants received commemorative diplomas.
The laureates, all the participants and their teachers were individually given two issues of the "Notebooks" published by our Association.
The representatives of the youngsters gave the members of the Jury bunches of flowers.
In the end the President of the Jury and the Honorary Chairman of SPPW 1944 Association Mr. Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz summarized the competition, congratulating its participants and giving thanks for both their efforts and commitment to save the memory of the patriotic Event from the past.
The competition undoubtedly raised the state of knowledge about the Warsaw Uprising 1944 among the Warsaw youth. Its participants proved an interesting and mature way of presenting the chosen heroes. Those who were present in the Długa 22 street shared the feeling the competition ought to be carried on in the future.
compiled by: Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz
pictures taken by: Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz
translated by: Monika Ałasa
Copyright © 2019 SPPW 1944. All rights reserved.