The photo report of the Seventh Inter-district School Competition for the pupils of Warsaw primary schools entitled
"Me, the soldier of the Uprising" - school year 2022/2023.
The idea of the Inter-district School Competition entitled "Me, the soldier of the Uprising" that had been both created and organized since the year 2015 by the 1944 Warsaw Uprising Remembrance Association, has been still alive, despite the covid-19 pandemics and other adversities. In the school year 2022/2023 the seventh edition of the competition was organized. It has been invariably dedicated to the Warsaw Insurgents of the year 1944 and the civilian Warsaw inhabitants of the capital city under occupation. This year's competition was co-organized by the Museum of Independence, thanks to which the young actors could present their heroes inside the Museum.
Like in previous years, the aim of the competition was to popularize the heroic behaviour of the soldiers of the Uprising, encouraging to read the insurgent memories placed in both the "Notebooks of the Remembrance of the Warsaw Uprising" and the SPPW 1944 website, as well as to use the archives of the Warsaw Uprising Museum and to participate in the meetings "The Witnesses of the History" in the Warsaw Uprising Museum.
Concurrently, the competition was to promote the high culture of a spoken word, to develop oratorical talents of representatives of young generation and to teach the rivalry in a friendly atmosphere.
The competition was addressed to the pupils of Warsaw primary schools, classes 4-8.
Each contestant was to prepare a short monodrama related to a chosen person: a soldier of one of insurgent unit, an orderly, a liaison, a young scout-soldier of the Grey Regiments, a young scout-boy delivering the insurgent post mail or a civilian observing the insurgent actions. Participants were supposed to choose a role of a certain person and play a role of them (the scenario based on real memories). The "by heart" presentation was to last not more than 7-10 minutes.
The rules of the competition were prepared like in previous years, by Mrs. Maria Poprawa, the member of the SPPW 1944 Board, a techer of Polish and history in the 118 Primary School in Warsaw named after the Friends of Mazovia.
The deadline was October 30, 2022.
Nineteen participants from five primary schools registered.
On November 17, 2022 in the cinema hall of the Przebendowski/Radziwiłł Palace, the headquarters of the Museum of Independence, 62 Aleja Solidarności in Warsaw, the examination of the contestants occurred.
The event was opened by the SPPW Vice-chairman Mrs. Maria Poprawa and the contest organizer who reminded in few words the history of the competition "Me, the soldier of the Uprising".
Mrs. Maria Poprawa
Eventually, sixeen participants from five primary schools came forward.
They chose to play the roles of the following:
1. Teresa Bogusławska a.k.a. "Tereska", "Harnaś" group;
2. Irena Ćwiertnia M.D., a doctor who served in the Uprising as a civilian;
3. Andrzej Danysz a.k.a. "Filozof", "Grażyna" company, the "Gustaw"-"Harnaś" Home Army battalion;
4. Barbara Garncarczyk-Piotrowska a.k.a. "Pająk", a liaison of the "Wigry" Home Army battalion;
5. Halina Jędrzejewska a.k.a. "Sławka", "Jerzyki" company, the "Miotła" Home Army battalion;
6. Lidia Konarska- Wyleżyńska a.k.a. "Zora",a telephone liaison, liaison platoons 228 and 211, the "Żubr" Home Army group;
7. Janina Krassowska a.k.a. "Jagienka", an orderly;
8. Zofia Książek-Bregułowa a.k.a. "Zośka", a liaison of the "Krybar" Home Army group;
9. Jan Romańczyk a.k.a. "Łukasz Łata", the "Miotła" Home Army battalion;
10. Anna Danuta Staniszkis a.k.a. "Jagienka", ordery chief, the "Bakcyl" unit, the regiment of the "Baszta" Home Army Headquarters;
11. Józef Andrzej Szczepański Ziutek, a soldier of the "Parasol" Home Army battalion;
12. Anna Świrszczyńska, an orderly;
13. Mrs. Wanda Traczyk-Stawska a.k.a. "Pączek", a Liaison Officer of the Home Army Headquarters Protective Security Unit (Secret Military Publishing Works), (she was being presented twice);
14. Eugeniusz Tyrajski a.k.a. "Sęk", the regiment of the "Baszta" Home Army Headquarters;
15. Janusz Wałkuski - a civilian Warsaw inhabitant.
The Jury consisted of the following members:
Mrs.Cecylia Steczkowska - an artist active in commemorating heroism of the Warsaw Insurgents, the president of the Jury,
Mrs. Bogna Niezielińska- Galperyn - a wife of the late Zbigniew Galperyn, the friend of our Association; befriended with many Warsaw Insurgents with whom she used to co-operate in the Warsaw Insurgents Association for 17 years;
Mr. Franciszek Cepek - the 1944 Warsaw Uprising Remembrance Association managing board member.
They evaluated each performance (in two age groups).
sitting second from the left: Mrs. Bogna Niezielińska-Galperyn; sitting fourth from the left: Mrs. Cecylia Steczkowska; sitting fifth from the left: Mr. Franciszek Cepek
While evaluating, the Jury considered the following factors:br>
- presenting of a chosen person, composition and oratorical talent,
- esthetics and uniqueness of garment and the way of presenting it, as well as
- the general artistic impression,
- selection of stage props,
- musical setting, etc.
After a long discussion the Jury decided to award the following contestants:
the group of younger pupils (classes 4 - 6):
Ruslana Tatarczuk, 26 Primary school
Tymoteusz Mazur, 118 Primary school
Juliusz Bromirski, 23 Primary school
Aleksander Prazimowski, 118 Primary school
the group of older pupils (classes 7 -8)
Valeriia Ostypenko, 118 Primary school
Sofia Ubler, 118 Primary school
Natalia Osękowska, 366 Primary school
Zuzanna Cholewa, 118 Primary school
On December 1, 2022 in the cinema hall of the Przebendowski/Radziwiłł Palace, the headquarters of the Museum of Independence, 62 Aleja Solidarności in Warsaw, contestants and their caretakers met to receive the awards and honourable awards: Empik gift vouchers, two copies of the "Notebooks of the Remembrance of the Warsaw Uprising" issued by the 1944 Warsaw Uprising Remembrance Association and commemorative diplomas .
All the awards were funded by the 1944 Warsaw Uprising Remembrance Association.
Nobody was forgotten. All the contestants were given commemorative diplomas and two copies of the "Notebooks of the Remembrance of the Warsaw Uprising" issued by the 1944 Warsaw Uprising Remembrance Association.
The awards were being given by: Mrs. Beata Michalec PhD, the Vice-president of the Museum of Independence, and Mrs. Cecylia Steczkowska, the President of the Competition Jury.
The competition did raise the state of knowledge about the Warsaw Uprising 1944 among the Warsaw youth. It is worth mentioning that immigrants from the Ukraine and Syria who are presently living in Poland got interested in the history of the Warsaw Uprising. Three of the laureates are Ukrainian contestants. Young actors proved an interesting and mature way of presenting the chosen heroes.
In the end Mrs. Beata Michalec PhD thanked Mrs. Maria Poprawa for her engagement in organizing seven editions of the Competition entitled "Me, the soldier of the Uprising" and commemorating the truth of the Warsaw Uprising 1944.
compiled by: Maciej Janaszek-Seydlitz
pictures taken by: Franciszek Cepek
translated by: Monika Ałasa
Copyright © 2022 SPPW 1944. All rights reserved.